Jen Middleton has deep roots in the healthcare industry as well as a certification in healthcare compliance. She’s a trusted partner for various managed care organizations, health systems, and practitioners, from providing everyday legal advice on data privacy standards to advising on the Medicaid and Medicare regulatory landscape. Jen also represents entities and individual practitioners in licensing and credentialing matters.
With an extensive background in government enforcement, Jen is well-versed in federal and state laws impacting her health care clients. Laws like HIPAA, the Anti-Kickback Statute, the Physician Self-Referral (Stark) law, the Minnesota Government Data Practices Act, the Corporate Practice of Medicine, and the Professional Firms Act. In fact, Jen spent five years at the Minnesota Attorney General’s Office and some time in-house for a large health care system, and thus, is vastly familiar with the ins-and-outs of health regulations.
Key Practice Experience
- Regulatory Compliance
- Professional health licensing board defense
- Data privacy and security standards
- Fraud, waste, and abuse regulations
- Credentialing and privileging advising and representation
- Business Associate Agreements and general contracting
- Internal health care investigations
- Compliance program advising and audits
- Attorney General investigation and enforcement actions
- Nonprofit formation and dissolution
- Assistant Attorney General – Health Licensing Division, Minnesota Attorney General’s Office
Key Industry Experience
- Health care
- Advised multiple managed care organizations on Stark, Anti-Kickback Statute, and False Claims Act implications.
- Advised clients on state licensure laws, scope of practice, and corporate practice of medicine issues.
- Advised a health system on HIPAA and the Minnesota Health Records Act compliance requirements.
- Successfully represented a physician in a privileging action before a hospital system, resulting in no disciplinary action being taken against the physician.
- Successfully represented multiple managed care organizations in credentialing actions against practitioners.
- Obtained a favorable ruling from the Minnesota Court of Appeals in a health licensing action.
- Litigated hundreds of matters as an Assistant Attorney General representing professional health licensing boards, including the Minnesota Boards of Nursing, Dentistry, Veterinary Medicine, Chiropractic Examiners, Optometry, Nursing Home Examiners, Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy, and Behavioral Health
- Hennepin County Self-Help Clinic volunteer lawyer with the Volunteer Lawyer’s Network
- Volunteer lawyer with The Advocates, representing immigrants on asylum cases
- Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid Associate Campaign Fundraiser Volunteer
- Anti-Kickback Statute and Stark Law Regulations: Final Rules Issued
- Jen Middleton Earns Certification in Healthcare Compliance
- HIPAA Enforcement Update: Disclosures Made by Business Associates During COVID-19
- Telehealth Expansion During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- HHS Announces Limited Waiver of HIPAA Sanctions During COVID-19 Public Health Emergency
- Health Plans, PBMs Now on the Clock as Minnesota Enacts New Law for Drug Pricing Transparency
- Heath Care in the Minnesota Legislature: Update
- Jen Middleton Joins Nilan Johnson Lewis as Associate