Matt enjoys, and excels at, the investigative side of practicing law. His straightforward, clear-eyed assessments help steer cases toward favorable resolution, whether through summary adjudication, negotiated settlement, or trial. In addition to his incisive analysis, Matt’s known for his affability, which helps him maintain great working relationships with both clients and opposing counsel.
Before becoming a lawyer, Matt was a winemaker. While trying to find a job as a sommelier in New York City, he worked as an investigative analyst at the Manhattan District Attorney’s office, where he fell in love with the complexities of fact finding and the law.
Outside of work, you can find Matt at home with his family, working on house projects and taking his kids outdoors for hikes and sports.
Key Practice Experience
Recognitions and Honors
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Joseph M. McLaughlin, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit (2012-2013)
- Law Clerk to Magistrate Judge Andrew J. Peck, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York (2009-2011)
- Archibald R. Murray Public Service Award
- Alpha Sigma Nu
Publications and Presentations
- “CPSC Wins Decisively in Rare Decision Addressing Procedural Defenses to CPSA Enforcement Actions,” November 2016
- “Incoming! Despite Lack of ‘Ice Missile’ Laws in Some States, Trucking Companies Still Potentially Liable for Negligence,” TIDA (Trucking Industry Defense Association) 2015 Fall Newsletter, December 2015
- “The Law of Optional Safety Devices,” MDLA Products Liability Committee, December 2015
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Defense Research International
- Young Lawyer Liaison, Commercial Litigation Substantive Law Committee
- Minnesota Defense Lawyers Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Board of Directors, Milkweed Editions
- Volunteer investigator, 4th Judicial District Ethics Committee
- Avoiding False Advertising Claims During COVID-19
- Employer Liability When Workers Contract COVID-19
- U.S. Supreme Court Deems FELA Payments as Taxable
- Minnesota Skiers and Snowboarders Now Liable for Injuries on the Slopes; Are Other Sports Next?
- Benjamin Johnson and Matthew Murphy Promoted to Shareholder at Nilan Johnson Lewis
- CPSC Settlement Reinforces Need for Product Manufacturers to Proactively Implement Safety Compliance Programs
- CPSC Wins Decisively in Rare Decision Addressing Procedural Defenses to CPSA Enforcement Actions
- Nilan Johnson Lewis Successfully Defends Client Evenflo Against Class Action Claims
- Incoming! Despite Lack of “Ice Missile” Laws in Minnesota, Trucking Companies Still Potentially Liable for Negligence