Recreational and Powersports Products
We are one of the nation’s leading firms in defending recreational and powersports products. We have represented the majority of the leading powersports manufacturers in hundreds of cases throughout North America, in nearly every state and most of Canada’s provinces. We have defended against every type of claim and achieved complete dismissals, trial victories, and favorable settlements. Read more about our experience using the links below.
- Defended more than 100 ATV cases involving claims of stability, stuck throttle, rear pitch, fires, failed components, warnings, and other types of claim.
- Represented numerous manufacturers in more than 75 side-by-side cases involving, among many others, roll-overs and overturns, roll cage issues, fires, egress issues, and throttle claims.
- Litigated snowmobile cases throughout the United States and Canada involving claims of serious injuries or death.
- Frequently defended cases involving other recreational vehicles including personal watercraft, boats, motorcycles, bicycles, and Segways.
- Utilized extreme familiarity with vehicles to gain litigation upper hand.
- Represented companies on recalls and CPSC investigations, and assisted with the preparation of safety compliance plans.
- We represent and advise makers of personal transportation devices, including electric skateboards, electric scooters, hoverboards and self-balancing scooters, e-bikes, and other electric vehicles
- Deep familiarity with lithium-ion battery technology, including defending fire and explosion claims involving lithium-ion batteries and battery-powered products.
- We represent clients on issues relating to Unmanned Aircraft Systems (drones), including advice and consulting, regulatory compliance, and litigation
Vehicle Standards and Warning Labels
- Assist companies in preparing operator’s manuals, or product warnings and instructions.
- Utilize ANSI-SVIA standard and history of ATV development to undercut vehicle defect claims.
- Initial drafting of ANSI-ROHVA standard and very knowledgeable about all aspects of snowmobile SSCC standard.
- Aggressive use of vehicle warning labels, manuals, and other point-of-purchase materials to undermine plaintiff’s claims.
- Use evolution of standards and vehicles to highlight safety advances and State of the Art vehicle designs.
Total Litigation Partnership
- Partner with clients to ensure that litigation handling meets business needs.
- Identify and work to minimize risks associated with designing, testing, manufacturing, and selling products.
- Conduct thorough initial investigations and early case assessment to structure case handling and develop budgets.
- Measure litigation performance based on client’s chosen metrics or business needs.
- Conduct “Lessons Learned” follow-up after case resolution to reduce repeat claims.
- Have in-house experience managing cases, working with engineering staff, and meeting budgets.
In-House and Outside Expertise
- Provide training to employees on areas critical to litigation defense and minimizing future exposure.
- Utilize comprehensive network of outside experts to assist in-house engineers in defending against claims.
- Work closely with in-house engineering staff regarding vehicle design choices to support case defense.
- Waivers and Releases: How Sports Clubs and Summer Camps Should Prepare To Reopen
- Minnesota Price-Gouging Laws: What Retailers and Manufacturers Need to Know
- The Importance of Social Media In Communicating Changes and Delays To Recall Remedies and Information
- How Manufacturers and Retailers Can Protect Themselves from Product Liability Exposure During COVID-19
- Nilan Johnson Lewis’ Board of Directors Now Predominantly Female
- Nilan Johnson Lewis Announces Its 2016 Board of Directors
- Nilan Johnson Lewis “Performance” Secures Trial Victory for Cycling Retailer