Intellectual Property Disputes
Nilan Johnson Lewis’ integrated intellectual property practice helps clients develop, acquire, and protect their “soft” IP portfolios. While our Corporate and Transactional attorneys help register, prosecute, maintain, and license our clients’ trademarks and copyrights, our litigators implement cost-effective protection and enforcement strategies to safeguard our clients’ intellectual property rights, including litigating trademark, trade dress, and copyright infringement claims before federal and state courts as well as before the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). We also serve as local counsel in copyright, trademark, and patent disputes. Whether someone has misappropriated your intellectual property or has accused you of infringing on theirs, our experienced team will provide the analysis and advice you need to make the best business decisions to protect your interests.
We provide early case assessments; draft and respond to cease and desist letters; negotiate pre-suit settlements; and, if your dispute cannot be resolved short of litigation, our experienced trial attorneys will fight for you.
Your Individual and Business Objectives
Whether you are an artist, publisher, software engineer, or a small or large company, we understand that your intellectual property is one of your most valuable assets. Regardless of your field, we will work closely with you to understand your business and objectives and tailor our litigation strategies to complement your goals while protecting your intellectual property rights.
At NJL, we have extensive experience litigating the following claims:
- Trademark infringement and dilution
- Copyright infringement
- Unfair competition
- Trade secrets
- Represented an airplane parts manufacturer in a copyright suit brought by a former contractor who claimed ownership over custom software programs. While litigating the claims in multiple forums, we reached a very favorable settlement for our client that was less than its original pre-suit offer.
- Represented a medical services provider in a dispute with a software development company that alleged that our client’s custom software infringed its copyrights. After filing a declaratory judgment action, we reached a favorable settlement that ensured our client’s undisputed ownership of its custom software.
- Represented a non-profit, member-based, educational provider in a trademark dispute with a public university regarding its use of our client’s trademark in conjunction with a professional development seminar. We succeeded in getting the university to cease the alleged infringement by changing the name of its seminar.
- Represented a non-profit, member-based, educational provider in a trademark dispute with a publisher and author regarding their publication of a book whose title was substantially similar to our client’s own training manual series. We succeeded in getting the publisher and author to cease the alleged infringement by changing the name of their book.
Overview of our expertise
- Business Torts
- Class Actions
- Commercial Lending and Real Estate Disputes
- Consumer Fraud
- Contract, Warranty and UCC Disputes
- Environmental Litigation
- ERISA and Employee Benefits Litigation and Compliance
- ERISA and Fiduciary Class Litigation
- Department of Labor Audits ERISA
- Fiduciary and Professional Liability
- Gaming Law
- Information Security and Privacy Claims
- Intellectual Property Disputes
- Shareholder and Partnership Disputes
- Example Business Litigation Cases