Add value, feel valued
Diversity is a core value at Nilan Johnson Lewis.
We recognize that all talented people can lend value to our organization, and we are committed to affording opportunities not only for women and minorities but for those with different backgrounds or lifestyles, to share their talents productively.
Our firm has made a strong commitment to diversity in the hiring, advancement, and retention of women, people of color, and those with different backgrounds and lifestyles. We seek meaningful ways to retain and support our people in developing a rewarding career.
What We Are Doing:
- NJL has created a separate, internal task force to analyze and improve our recruiting and retention practices with a specific focus on racial/ethnic diversity.
- We have established relationships with each of the local diverse bar organizations — Minnesota Association of Black Lawyers, Minnesota American Indian Bar Association, Minnesota Hispanic Bar Association, National Asian Pacific Bar Association, the Lavender Bar Association as well as the diverse student organizations at the Minnesota law schools. We use those contacts to generate candidates for job openings, and ways to improve our support for, and expand our involvement in, the various minority bar associations and their events in the Twin Cities.
- We joined the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD) to further our commitment to creating not only a diverse and inclusive firm but an overall diverse and inclusive legal profession. LCLD is made up of more than 300 corporate chief legal officers and law firm managing partners, working to build a more open and diverse legal profession. As part of our LCLD membership, we also participate in the LCLD Fellows Program. The LCLD Fellows Program is designed to connect high-potential attorneys with General Counsel and Managing Partners from preeminent organizations for a year-long, multi-tiered professional development series. The Fellows Program offers a unique value to leadership-oriented, mid-career attorneys because of the exclusive opportunities to network with and learn from the top leaders in the legal field, during the Program and into the future.
- University of Minnesota Law School Scholarship – NJL established this fund in 1999 to support annual scholarships for qualified second and third-year law students. Students must demonstrate financial need, outstanding academic achievement and commitment to entering and enhancing the private practice of law. Preference is given to female students when awarding this scholarship.
- NJL is a member of Diversity in Practice, a joint group of in-house law departments and private law firms focused on attraction, recruitment, advancement, and retention of attorneys of color.
- We also participate in the City of Minneapolis’ Step-Up program. The program provides internship opportunities within our firm for ethnic and racially diverse students.
What We Also Offer:
- Flexible scheduling
- Domestic partnership benefits, including bereavement and parenting leave
- Telecommuting options
- Reduced-hour schedules and other arrangements to help balance family and career
For a further description of our commitment to diversity, please click here.