Industry Focus: Retail
At Nilan Johnson Lewis, we understand the unique challenges faced by our retail clients, including those with hundreds—or even thousands—of store locations throughout the country. We appreciate that a national employee base requires sophisticated, cutting-edge talent selection and management techniques. We know that maintaining a quality brand by consistently delivering positive customer experiences in a multitude of store locations is paramount to our retail clients. We also understand the importance of complex distribution networks to the retail business model and appreciate the special labor, wage and hour, and other challenges presented by a nationwide distribution network.
Our Labor and Employment group delivers deep and focused expertise to our retail clients, assisting them in advancing their business goals while controlling legal risk. We have invested in personnel and technology that allow us to manage nationwide class and collective litigation. We proactively track statutes and regulations in all 50 states, as well as major cities, and provide regular updates and compliance advice. We understand the grave risks involved in the litigation process and strive to tailor our defense of individual and class claims to achieve successful results in a way that is consistent with the company’s brand, reputation, and business needs and goals.
We have provided a variety of services to retail entities, including the following:
- Wage-and-hour defense in litigation against the DOL and private parties
- Representation during DOL and other agency audits
- Wage-and-hour classification audits
- Class discrimination litigation defense against the EEOC and private parties
- Pay equity audits, advice, and defense
- Hiring and recruiting audits, advice, and defense
- Pre-hiring testing and background check audits, advice, and defense
- Managing reductions in force
- Policy and handbook drafting and audits