Having previously served as an in-house attorney for a national manufacturer of recreational products, John understands the business pressures faced by his clients and strives to achieve their business goals in every legal matter.
Through a strategic and efficient approach to litigation, regulatory issues, and preventative matters, John delivers exceptional results to his clients. He avoids any unwanted litigation surprises by thoroughly analyzing cases from the outset and developing a litigation plan that utilizes his client’s resources to focus on the key case issues. John’s direct and targeted approach combined with his smart, hard-working style gives clients the confidence that their matters are always proceeding as planned.
John has had the opportunity to mediate cases across the country, as both the litigator and client representative. He brings this unique experience to his role as a mediator and strives to achieve case resolutions using a patient, creative approach.
When not working hard for his clients, John loves hanging out with his family, going for a bike ride, or attending his kids’ sporting events.
Key Practice Experience
- Recreational product defense on ATVs, side-by-side vehicles, snowmobiles, personal watercraft and motorcycles
- Regulatory compliance, recalls, and investigations
- Preventative measures, including preparing on-product labels, owner’s/operator’s manuals, and other point-of-purchase materials
- Consumer class action defense
- Defense of ski areas in personal injury litigation
- Defense of agriculture and construction equipment cases
- Consumer product defense on injury, fire and burn cases
- Employment and non-compete litigation
- Minority shareholder litigation
- Commercial litigation
- Law Clerk, Honorable Ann D. Montgomery, United States District Court, District of Minnesota
- Trials involving product liability/defect claims, employment claims, wrongful termination, breach of contract and minority shareholder claims.
- Arbitrations involving personal injury/negligence claims and wrongful termination/breach of contract claims.
- 50+ representations of ATV manufacturers as national or regional counsel in accidents involving significant injuries or deaths.
- Dozens of representations of UTVs/side-by-side manufacturers as national or regional counsel in accidents involving significant injuries or deaths.
- Extensive preventative measures practice, including preparing on-product labels, owner’s/operator’s manuals, and other point-of-purchase materials.
- Numerous representations of companies in regulatory matters involving the CPSC and FDA, including recalls, investigations, and other compliance issues.
- Many representations of snowmobile, personal watercraft (PWC), and motorcycle manufacturers in accidents involving significant injuries or deaths.
- Representations of ski areas in significant injury cases, including brain damage, quadriplegia, and paraplegia.
- Representations of companies in employment litigation with a particular focus on non-compete litigation, including TROs and preliminary injunctions.
- Representation of companies in business disputes, including many breach-of-contract and minority shareholder matters.
Key Industry Experience
- Recreational products industry
- Personal watercraft
- Agricultural and construction equipment industry
- Consumer products
- Amusement areas
Recognitions and Honors
- Multi-year recognition by peers in Minnesota Super Lawyers®
Publications and Presentations
- “Tips for Litigation in Federal Court.” Bench & Bar, 1997.
- “More Tips for Litigation in Federal Court.” Bench & Bar, 2000.
- “Tips for Federal Court III.” Bench & Bar, 2004.
- Minnesota State Bar Association (MSBA)
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Minnesota Defense Lawyers Association (MDLA)
- Youth baseball coach
- Avoiding False Advertising Claims During COVID-19
- The Importance of Social Media In Communicating Changes and Delays To Recall Remedies and Information
- Tips on Remote Video Depositions
- Liability for Allegedly Unnecessary Product Recall?
- CPSC Wins Decisively in Rare Decision Addressing Procedural Defenses to CPSA Enforcement Actions
- CPSC Again Pursues Significant Penalties for Untimely Reporting
- Nilan Johnson Lewis Successfully Defends Client Evenflo Against Class Action Claims