Sara brings a wealth of experience in labor and employment law, skillfully guiding employers through a wide spectrum of complex matters, spanning from single-plaintiff cases to nationwide class action suits. Her experience lies in defending organizations against various types of employment litigation, including discrimination and retaliation claims under Title VII, FMLA, and ADA, state and federal whistleblower claims, as well as charges before the NLRB, EEOC, and other agencies.
Sara has developed a particularly deep understanding of matters affecting the education industry and provides counsel to private and public post-secondary and K-12 educational institutions, including compliance with FERPA, Title VI, Title IX, and the Clery Act.
In labor management relations, Sara offers her assistance to clients dealing with representation and decertification elections, and she adeptly defends against unfair labor practice claims.
When she’s not diligently managing client files, you may occasionally find Sara constructing elaborate Lego® structures. For instance, her office is home to a life-sized Lego typewriter with clickable keys, showcasing her creativity and attention to detail.
Key Practice Experience
- FLSA/Wage-and-hour defense
- Class and complex litigation strategy
- Compliance with FERPA, Title VI, Title IX, and Clery Act
- EEOC class investigation and litigation defense
- Labor management relations
- Discrimination defense
- Whistleblower/retaliation defense
- Administrative agency charge responses
Key Industry Experience
- Restaurant/Food Service
- Health Care
Publications and Presentations
- Author, “Health Plans that Exclude Gender-Affirming Care Pose Bigtime Business Risks,” ALM BenefitsPRO, August 9, 2023
- Presenter, “Private Sector Labor Law” and “Family and Medical Leave,” Minnesota CLE, Understanding Minnesota and Federal Labor and Employment Law, September 2023
- Presenter, “Understanding the Implications of the Recent SCOTUS Affirmative Action Decision,” Webinar, Twin Cities Diversity in Practice, July 2023
- Presenter, “2023 Race Discrimination Case Update—Takeaways from Recent Cases Plus Potential Impact of SCOTUS College Admissions,” Upper Midwest Employment Law Institute, May 2023
- Presenter, “Developments in Whistleblowing,” Webinar, Lorman Education Services, July 2021
- Presenter, “Employee Discipline for Conduct Outside of Work,” Webinar, Lorman Education Services, January 2021
- Presenter, “Gender Bias and #MeToo: Complying with the Law,” CLE, October 2019
- Co-author, “Summary Guide to Employment Privacy Law,” Minnesota CLE
- National Association of College and University Attorneys
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Minnesota Lavender Bar Association
- LGBTQ+ Clinic Volunteer, Volunteer Lawyers Network
- Criminal Expungement Clinic Volunteer, Volunteer Lawyers Network
Recognitions and Honors
- Listed in Minnesota Rising Stars, 2023