Nilan Johnson Lewis represents employers of all sizes, from small companies to Fortune 500 corporations. We appreciate the importance of understanding not merely the substantive law, but the business needs of our clients. We know there are times when what is the standard legal answer touches on sensitive business relationships or conflicts with business objectives. Our goal is to solve problems, not create them.
We offer the depth necessary to obtain the results our clients expect while providing the appropriate level of expertise to ensure that our clients receive efficient and cost-effective representation.
The members of our labor and employment group have a long history of successful representation of major employers in employment, labor, and employee benefits litigation and administrative agency cases. Our attorneys have won state and federal jury and court trials, numerous cases at summary judgment or on motions to dismiss, and appeals before various federal and state courts. These successful results include ground-breaking cases that broadened defenses against Department of Labor wage and hour class actions, created new defenses against age discrimination class action suits, invalidated Department of Labor Family and Medical Leave Act regulations, and limited employer exposure to whistleblower claims. We have won significant summary judgment orders against the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the United States Department of Labor.
Overview of our expertise
- Affirmative Action Plans and OFCCP Compliance
- EEOC Class Investigation and Litigation Defense
- Discrimination Defense
- Trials and Arbitrations
- FLSA/Wage-and-Hour Defense
- California Employment Law
- Executive Agreements and Severance
- Labor Management Relations
- Leave of Absence and Disability Advice/Defense
- Non-Compete and Trade Secret Litigation
- Pay Equity Advice and Defense
- Pre-Hire Testing and Background Check Advice/Defense
- Preventive Employment Counseling
- Reductions in Force
- Whistleblower/False Claims Act Defense
- Workplace Investigations
- Industry Focus: Health Care
- Industry Focus: Restaurants
- Industry Focus: Retail
- Industry Focus: Tech Startups